Okay, I have heard about some issues of whether or not you should use bumper pads in your crib. What do you think? I know the debates are:
If you use the pads- your baby could roll over and get his/her face stuck against them and not be able to breathe
Or if they are too plushy and fluffy- they could suffocate them as well
Or if they get an arm or leg stuck in between the crib and the bumper pad
SO.....what are your thoughts? Do you still have your bumper pads up? If so, is there any precautions you used?
I love the bumper pads and they are so cute, I hate to take them down...but for Ayla's safety...down they would go. As of right now they are down but if just looks so plain :-(
Hello friends














28 comments:
I think the American Academy of Pediatrics says nothing in the crib, bumpers, pads, etc until 1 year of age --- most people I know at least keep them down until 4-6 months of age when the kiddos have better neck/head control. I know that my little guy has broken out of the swaddle and scooted to be against the top of the crib and had the bumpers been there -- well who knows. Better safe than sorry!
I enjoy reading your blog (no idea where I found it!) I kept my bumpers in until my little one was pulling up on them. I've heard people do both ways but if it concerns you then keep them out. We are due with #2 in three weeks and I have them in. My first didn't move at all for a while so I wasn't worried at first and then we just kept them in. Go with your gut!
We kept ours on. Our babies slept very tightly swaddled and in the baby positioner thingy, so they didn't do much moving around untill they were big enough to roll around/lift their head. I figured by that point they would move if they couldn't breathe. Kind of like how you are supposed to put them to sleep on their back, but when they start rolling over you can't keep them on their back unless you stand there and flip them over all night. But if they are big enough to roll, they are big enough to keep from suffocating with their face down.
Just my thoughts. I couldn't stand to take mine down either, and my kids always ended up on their side with their butt up against them for padding :)
Your bumper pads truly are precious! We were told at our Lamaze class to remove the pads once the baby can roll over--so that's our plan. But with so many other baby questions--you'll get six of one, and half a dozen of the other responses. Take care!
Well we have used bumper pads the entire time. I never worried because I have an angel monitor...great investment! All my friends use bumpers too!!
Great pictures by the way! Sooo cute!
We used bumper pads in Ella's crib when she was a baby and had no problems. We didn't have her start sleeping in her crib until she was 6 months old, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference. She never got caught in them or anything. However, once she started standing up in her crib, she would step on top of the bumper pads and her legs/feet would get caught between the pads and the rails of the crib. We ended up taking the pads out then, as she didn't need them anymore anyway. It's always hard knowing what's RIGHT, but you will know what is right for your baby girl. :)
i am so glad u posted this b/c i was wondering the same thing. even though i haven't put noah in his crib at night yet. can't wait to hear what everyone says. oh and i LOVE the pics!! Ayla is such a doll!!!!!!!
Hi Sarah...once my babies started rolling over/moving around, they were no longer swaddled (no blankets in the crib), I took out the sleep positioner, and the crib bumper came out. I just felt that it wasn't worth it to risk it. I know a lot of people that have left it in and cover their babies in blankets. I think it's just a personal preference and whether or not you're a worrier....which I am. :) Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl.
We always had the bumper in and you know how paranoid I am. Brayden slept in an elevated sleep positioner that his neonatologist recommended for his reflux, so there was no way he could have rolled into it.
We had the bumper in the crib until I had to change the sheet! It's such a pain to change it with the bumper in the crib. I was also a little nervous once Drake started moving around. He did get his leg stuck through the side once, but he hasn't done it again. There are breathable bumpers that you can get, but that certainly won't give you that "pretty" look. :-)
At about 8 weeks, I put Sarah in her crib. I went in a few times and her face was smashed against her bumper pad. I got a video monitor, and she doesn't do that as much now. However, mine are not thick at all. Honestly, those plush ones scare me. If you notice Ayla is scooting around in her crib, I say take them out until she gets a little bigger, and that won't be too long from now. I didn't have Sarah in her crib until she was 2 full months old, but I probably could have put her in there earlier, I just didn't like leaving my room to feed her all the time.
This is a tough one - if you go by what is recommended, they say not to use them for all the safety hazards they pose. But like so much else out there, you have to do what makes you comfortable and what you think is best. With my daughter, we used them and had no problems. She didnt really move to much early on so I didn't worry too much. We did take them down at one point when she was a little older b/c she was using them to climb on....but the first night she got her chunky leg wedged in between the slats and was screaming the most awful scream I have ever heard. So we put the bumpers back up and actually just removed them last weekend b/c she had to go potty and couldn't get out of her crib so they got all wet - and she's going to be 3 in Nov - ha!
Now with my almost 5 month old son - his bumpers are up....for now but he is tightly swaddled and in a sleep positioner still so he doesn't move at all right now. However, we were on vacation last month and he scooted all over the place during the night, so I have already bought the breathable bumpers from BRU to put in his crib soon.
Like I started off saying - just do what you think is best for your baby - and what you are comfortable with. Sorry for the rambling :)
P.S. Ayla is just BEAUTIFUL!
I took my son's out once I started putting him in his crib. I felt better about it. I knew if I left the bumpers in and something happened I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I missed having them in there, because they were so cute, but it saved me some worry.
Your daughter is gorgeous, by the way!
I took mine down and them put them back up when Xavier was mobile. That was if he rolled into one and it was uncomfortable for him he could move himself away. I think this was at about 6 months old. I think its more a prob when they get smushed up against them and if they weren't able to move away they could suffocate. Hope that helps.
Caleb has always had the bumpers in his crib, and he started sleeping in his crib at 6 weeks old. Personally, I think it's fine to keep them in there! Ayla is adorable!!
We currently use a Breathable Bumper.. see link here:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2529738
They come in lots of different colors too. It's mesh so if by chance they do get their faces smushed into it they can still get air. I have my thick padded bumper that came with the bedding set stored in the closet and will probably start using it after Liam's 9 months old. I love your bedding by the way! So unique!
love the pics! my crib bumpers have been in his crib ever since brad was born 13 months ago. but mine are pretty thin and easily squash down if he tries to climb on them or anything. i would probably just worry about when she starts moving around a bunch and trying to get on top of them.
Macie is 3 months old and I still have her bumpers in. This morning she had kicked her way (on her back) to the wall of the crib. I think it was soft enough that I didn't need to worry about it. But I am wondering about taking them off as well. Geez. Too many options. Let us know what you decide.
We use a breathable bumper. It is meshy so if the baby is up against it he or she can still breathe through it. It is not as cute as traditional bumpers, but it gives us piece of mind.
Hi, I've been following your blog--congrats on your beautiful blessing! I wanted to let you know that commenter #1 hit it spot on; I am in the medical field and spoke a while back to a pathologist who is an expert on SIDS. Nothing in the cribs until age 1--positioners, loose blankets (tucked in to the side or swaddled are ok), bumper pads, you name it. Of course, the vast vast majority of babies who are in cribs with this stuff are fine, but there is a link to these things with suffocation and this pathologist has seen it. So for my babies I kept everything out; even though the chance of an issue is small no chance was too great for me. Just my two cents. Your nursery is beautiful either way, whatever you decide! Hope this is a little helpful. --another Mom in the blogosphere
We don't have anything in our babies' cribs. It just scares me to me. All the What Ifs are enough to drive me crazy. Good luck with your decision.
Hi Sarah, congrats! We don't use bumpers and heard they are unsafe for suffocation and carbon dioxide (air circulation) reasons. Hope this helps!
Although my baby boy's bumper pad is adorable, I took it out as soon as he started moving around. It just isn't worth the risk and the worrying. Sure, there are times when his arm or leg goes through the crib slats, but it hasn't been a huge problem. Usually he just pulls it back in himself.
Sarah-
My only concern is that custom bumper being so thick.
my bumper was about half that thickness if not more. Those actually scare me. But, its your choice!
just my 2 cents. =)
So cute!! I am going through the same delima (spelling??)!! I think I will go out and buy the breathable bumpers. My little one is 5 months old and still in the pack and play in our room, but I want to start her naps in her room. Right now I have no bumpers but I am terrifed that she will hurt her arms or legs (this happened to my cousin when he was a baby). SO I think the right answer for me is the breathable bumpers - definetely not as cute, but a good comprimise for now. When she is older I can put the bumpers back. Thanks for the posting!!
BTW-I used by bumper pad the entire time. And at my parents' house they still have theirs on her bed. I never had a problem with my pads, but like I said, they were VERY thin.
I have had my bumpers in the crib from day one. We used a sleep positioner so he never really went anywhere. Now he is moving and if I didnt have them in there he would prob. really hurt himself with limbs getting stuck and head bumps. The key is to make sure you have a tight fitting sheet, the bumpers are secured, and always have a fan going in the room to keep the air circulating(i think this is a big one, I always have a fan going when he's sleeping)
Post a Comment